Sugar Cookie Celebration
Crispy yet soft in the center, this sugar cookie recipe get a subtle apple tang from Activated Phenolics and a flavor push from gula melaka! They're especially good for children to make.
Key to making these cookies work is making sure your butter is chilled enough when you mix the batter, and that the dough is cold when you roll out the cookies.
If you have leftover dough after cutting out shapes, put it back in the refrigerator to chill again before rolling it a second time.
Preparation time: 3/4 hour preparation, 2 hour dough chilling.
Baking time: 12 minutes. Yields: 24-36 cookies, depending on the shape.
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) softened, but still very cool, unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup (125 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (25 gram) gula melaka
- 2 tablespoons (25 gram) Activated Phenolics
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (10 ml) lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons (300 grams) sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 gram) salt
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, Activated Phenolics, and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add the egg, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat until well combined, scraping the bowl as required.
- Add the flour, powder and salt to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Divide the dough in two, wrap in wax paper, and chill in the refrigerator for two hours. (To make rolling easier, also chill your rolling pin.)
- Heat your oven to 180°C.
- Take one dough ball from the refrigerator. Flour your work surface lightly, and roll out to 1/4 inch (a little over 1/2 cm), turing the dough so it doesn't stick.
- Cut cookies in any shape you desire. If the dough is sticking to the work surface, place a cookie sheet covered in ice cubes on it to help the dough firm again.
- Place the cutout cookies on a baking sheet that has been lightly greased or has been covered with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Place any dough scraps back in the refrigerator.
- Take the second ball from the refrigerator and do the same, cutting out shapes. Put the dough scraps in the refrigerator with the other scraps.
- Bake in the oven for 11-12 minutes, until the edges start to color slightly.
- Put the two sets of dough scraps together and roll again, cutting and baking the final cookies.
- Ice with your favorite icing.