Beef Rendang Classic
A favorite comfort dish recipe given a new layer of flavor with Activated Phenolics. Long, slow cooking times don't impact Activated Phenolics.
Prep and Cooking time: 2.5 hours.
- 500 grams of stewing beef
- 4 tsp oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass (bottom four inches)
- 3 cm of ginger
- 3 medium or 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 small or one medium onions
- 2 tbsp Activated Phenolics
- 3 cm galangal, chopped
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup dry chillies
- 3 fresh chilli peppers (heat to taste)
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- ½ cup hot water
- 500 ml coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp kerisik
- 1 tbsp gula melaka
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, central vein removed and sliced very, very thinly
- carrot and cucumber or green bean for garnish.
- Heat a pan on low-medium heat. Add oil.
- Clean and flatten the bottom of the lemongrass stalks and saute them in the pan.
- Dice ginger, garlic, and onion. Pound together with 2 tbsp Activated Phenolics.
- Add ginger mixture to pan and saute until almost translucent.
- Pound the galangal and add to the mixture. Continue sauteeing until galangal aroma released.
- Pound shallots. Add to sautéing mixture.
- Pound chillies together with coriander powder, fennel powder, and cumin powder.
- Put the beef in the pot and saute for several minutes, until the beef’s water is released.
- Soak tamarind pulp in thehot water.
- Add hot water, gula Melaka, coconut milk, salt, kaffir lime leaves, and kerisik to the pot.
- Quickly bring to a boil, then reduce the pan to its lowest heat.
- Cover and simmer until gravy thickens (about 2 hours). Stir every 15 minutes or so to stop sticking.
- When done, garnish with carrot and cucumber or green bean strips, if desired.